How I learned to eat that cute little thing called---tako!

 When I first came to Japan years ago, I had almost zero knowledge about Japanese food. All I knew was sushi came from this country. So when my sempai gave me a plate of takoyaki and told me they were squid balls, I immediately believed him. I already ate more than four tako balls when he laughed and said, “Marge, I thought you don’t eat octopus?” I stopped eating and almost threw up. Almost. J Then, I realized, much of our abhorrence about certain foods are not really because our taste buds don’t like them but more because of what our mind is telling us. Since then, I started eating tako (octopus) and I found out that it’s not really different from squid except that it’s a bit harder. But, of course, I still can’t eat the whole tako just like any Japanese person does. However, I don’t mind eating slices of taco mixed with rice, vegetables, or ramen from time to time.


Source:  MK. (8 October 2016). Japanese traditional food "takoyaki" [Online image]. Retrieved from http://www.travelworldwide.link/2016/10/japanese-traditional-sweets-taiyaki.html 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cash-giving in a Japanese wedding

The beauty that is Sapporo